Monday, September 2, 2013

Assistive Devices

Lets talk about Assistive devices. What really helps and what do I recommend?

First know I am a very stubborn person so none of these were easy. My husband lovingly coaxes me into the changes I need to make to stay as independent as I can. Ok lovingly coaxing is very hard to achieve with someone as completely stubborn and thick headed as I am, kudos to my husband again he is such a loving and patient man. I am sure there have been times when he has wanted to knock me upside the head for doing things the hard way just to prove I can, I must admit I do pay for my stubborn moments later, but change is hard for everyone right?!?

First and foremost get a handicapped placard for your vehicle, this is the tag that allows you to legally park in a handicapped spot. This is hard to admit you need, even if you don't feel you need it yet get it now and keep it in your vehicle for one of the days where you walk into a store strong and by the end you're really wishing someone could pull your car straight into the store...or better yet just magically transport you home. These are the days that you will be glad you got yourself a placard. I had read early in my RA to get one and I wish I knew who originally suggested it so I could thank them. So let me just say here thank you for the wonderful recommendation it has saved me on many occasions. 

The next thing I highly recommend is getting assistive utensils. I really like the rubber thick handles. These are such an easy replacement, but it really saves the fatigue on your hands. Also treat yourself to a good chef quality knife set. I personally like cutco, but there are many others that are good, spend the extra money to really get a great set. This will save you sawing your food or applying unneeded pressure on your joints using a dull knife.

Another everyday item we can change that will really save our hands is lever door handles. Twisting a door knob is hard on so many joints in our hand, wrist elbow and even all the way up to your shoulder. This is also a great way to save yourself the embarrassment of getting stuck in a bathroom because you can't turn the door knob, true story...more than once. Moving on...

Similar to door knobs are sink and shower fixtures. Some are the twist knob style, these are also hard on the small joints in our hands. There are so many varieties for changing this out go to a variety store where you can actually test the handle and see what works for you. Stores like home depot and lowes are not good places to test these as they are usually fixed and do not move, also many of them are out of reach. I'm not saying you can't buy them from these stores if the price is right, just warning you that you can't test the merchandise as well there.

Change things in your kitchen. Make sure you have the things you use the most in the easiest spot for you to access, even if it seems backwards to others. I have also changed out my dishes to Corell, these are light weight and hard to break. How many times have you lost your grip and lost your dish because of it?  I lost a few dishes before making the switch. Get a good mat to stand on one that supports and has some give so it will save you fatigue on your joints. This is something I still need to get myself.

Scissors, get a good pair with the spring loaded action I recommend Fiskers soft touch. This one doesn't fit well in any category because scissors are used for so much. I also got spring loaded garden sheers for gardening, which doesn't happen as much lately. I did get one of those weed pullers on a pole to try to help, mine was a poor choice it doesn't extend so it's just at the right length to be really hard on my back. I recommend looking for one than can extend to save the strain on your back, if you choose the right fit for you I am sure this could be a very helpful tool.

Handicapped toilet....wow this one has saved me from some embarrassing moments. Ever have your joints not work and you just can't stand up? Save yourself the embarrassment of having that happened while your pants are around your ankles and get a handicapped toilet. Which also brings up my previous post http://ra-gal.blogspot.com/2013/08/warning-potty-talkit-handicapped-stall.html if you haven't read it yet I spoke of people misusing the handicapped stall. Please save us the embarrassment of calling out for help and don't use the handicapped stall if others are open.

Other things I did were like getting an iPhone for the touch screen capability, this was when there weren't other touch phone options, so I think any touch screen is a good choice to help your hands. My hubby also convinced me I needed an iPad for my hands, he often does things like this to validate his want of a new techie toy, my husband is a big techie junkie. I have to admit he was right with this one the iPad has been great for me.

The last one I will mention is a push button start vehicle. They are a lot more common now, of course not all of us can afford a new car to change this, but if you are shopping for a new vehicle put this on your list as must have. Turning a key was too hard on my hands and wrists, a push button start is helping me keep my independence longer. I have never been a fan of leather seats...too cold or too hot and you stick to them, but I have now realized how easily I slide into my seat with leather seats. The strain of the swivel in on my hips is now gone, I was looking into the lazy susan type device that helps you swivel into your car, but now with leather seats it is no longer needed. So I now love leather seats, I still have the too hot in the sun problem, but mine do heat up with the push of a button another feature that is fantastic for the hips. The other thing I looked for is a good height one that I didn't fall down into, or climb up into, it's right at a natural sit position for me. I also got touch screen stereo with navigation and blue tooth the touch screen is easier on hands than turn dials for volume control etc. The biggest reason for my car upgrade was my wheelchair didn't fit in my compact prius so I had to upgrade...I still miss my prius, but I did stick with Toyota and got a Rav4. It is really a great rig and I am sure I will slowly fall in love with it, but I am a small car personality so it was hard to say goodbye to my prius. These are some things that I would look for if you are in the market for a new vehicle. The Rav4 is a great choice for me make sure to find yours.

Thanks again for stopping by hope to see you again soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment