Thursday, December 12, 2013

Invisibility Chair...aka my wheelchair

My wheelchair has an amazing super power it turns me invisible when I get in it....like Harry Potter and his invisibility cloak. I get in it anywhere in public and poof I'm invisible. This would be a really cool trick if at times it weren't downright dangerous. 

I was out doing Christmas errands with my daughters and I was using my manual wheelchair. My youngest daughter was pushing me in the parking lot, there were no handicapped spots, many were taken by non handicapped people or everyone is suddenly forgetting to place their handicapped placards. Unfortunately it is common to see this especially closer to the holidays, another good one I see is leaving the handicapped person in the car so you can get things done without the nusence of the handicapped person slowing you down, because I'm sure they love being used for prime parking. 

Anyways on the way out of the store a full sized older SUV (a Chevy Blazer 1980's style) starts rapidly backing out of their parking spot, my daughter is trying to pull me quickly out of the way I start waving my arms in a desperate manner, he continues backing up, I know my daughter is not able to move me out of the way quickly enough at the speed this vehicle is reversing I start screaming hello, at this point the man is well out of the parking spot and should be changing to drive anyways. He is finally alerted to our presence by my screaming, my daughter said the passenger was just looking at us the whole time, why this woman did not alert the driver to our presence I have no idea. Another costumer in the parking lot is shaking his head and makes a remark on how he didn't think the man was going to stop either. I understand my wheelchair is lower than his vehicle, but I have two other pedestrians with me and he never even looked over his shoulder. I believe he was planning on driving in reverse to the main road rather than go the rest of the way down the parking lot. 

I become invisible in my wheelchair even when people look me right in the eye, they will still step right out in front of me. People will walk around me, partially over me, straight into me. I feel like I am just a speed bump while they are on their life saving mission to get whatever they need. I even had a man ram my chair with his shopping cart, he gave a quick, quiet sorry as he quickly walked away. I am sitting there in shock and pain because he rammed me good. 

I was always taught manners and there is a different level of respect that you extend depending on the recipient. Elderly and handicapped were always given a higher level of respect and assistance, you should naturally hold the door for them, always smile and look them in the eye. Respect and manners seem to be rapidly disappearing and I'm sad to see them go. 

Who's with me in bringing back manners, common curtesy and respect. I for one am going to be talking with my children about it more and making sure that what we have always taught them is actually being used in everyday settings. 

Thanks for stopping by I really apreciate you taking the time to check out my blog. Remember the best comlimemt is to share my blog with friends, hit the follow button and feel free to share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment