Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Acceptance

We went to the movies last night and the theater we went to is not an easy one to navigate when you're hobbling, so we brought my wheelchair. The handicapped theater seating had no one in them so I was able to sit in the theater chair and park my wheelchair beside me. The theater chairs are leather and much more comfortable than my manual wheelchair. We were actually able to sit all together as a family in the handicapped row. It was really great.

There was a tall teenage boy sitting behind my wheelchair and he had his feet up on the bars. Everytime he would adjust his feet he would get closer and closer to my wheelchair. I felt like his feet were on my head and in my space, now remember I'm not sitting in my wheelchair. This feeling of having my personal space invaded while he was too close to my wheelchair tells me I have made a huge hurdle in my new life... I have accepted my wheelchair as part of me. It has always been a tough relationship for me with my wheelchair, I didn't want it, I don't like that I am at the point where I need one, even if it's not all the time. 

But this moment of this young man intruding on what I felt was my personal space was a huge turning point for me. ACEPTANCE. I accept that I need a wheelchair now and then. I accept that this is my personal wheelchair. I don't want your dirty shoes on the extention my body sometimes needs, just the way anyone would be bothered if his feet were actually hanging over the chair you were sitting in. 
I kept pushing and pulling my wheelchair this way and that way to keep him from putting his feet on it. Finally I got bold, this is very out of character for me, I turned around and politely said can you please watch out for my wheelchair when you're resting your feet? He apologized and took his feet down. 

If I had more time I would have told him this wheelchair is a part of me, it's what allows me to do these things with my family and when you put your feet on it I feel as though you are invading my personal space. That's right, I wanted to tell him how my wheelchair was a part of me. This is such a huge turning point for me. I accept my wheelchairs. They are a part of me, they help me do fun amazing things with my family again and please keep your feet off of me. 

Acceptance sure feels good. Thank you for stopping by and remember if you liked what you read make sure to follow my blog so you get notice of any new ones, and the best way to compliment me is to share my page with your friends. Hope you are all having a wonderful day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment