Monday, January 6, 2014

Change of name

I am sure you have heard many people wish that there would be a name change away from Rheumatoid Arthritis. I admit it really is an unfortunate name as Arthritis is just one symptom in the disease. Many people believe the name should be changed to rheumatoid disease. The thinking behind this is by changing the name we will change how people view the disease. I don't think this is a bad idea, but I can't see putting all of my energy behind it either. 

I personally think the scientific name of a disease is not that easy to change if it's even allowed at all. I believe that there are too many medical books, journals, studies etc etc with the name rheumatoid arthritis on it to make it an easy change. I believe if it's allowed to be done that it will take many years to actually change over. 

I feel instead that we need to change the way people view the disease.  That disease being rheumatoid arthritis. If someone asks about it take the time to explain the disease. Let them know that there are over 300,000 children in the US alone who suffer from this. Let them know Rheumatoid Arthritis is not osteoarthritis it knows no age and it's a systemic autoimmune disease with no cure and the current treatments of today are chemo therapies. 

1,000 children younger than 15 years of age died from arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the 20 years from 1979–1998 (average = 50 deaths / year) This is taken straight from the center for disease controls page. So let them know Rheumatoid Arthritis can be deadly. 

Let's be the change. Let's educate people, take the time to really educate them. Get the facts behind it. Practice a short response with a lot of facts to share when anyone asks you. You can use exactly what I just shared with you. 

Get the tshirt. Have you seen the great new shirts from the arthritis foundation? They are blue shirts with white writing that says "I am the face of arthritis" and guess what they come in kids sizes. We get enough of us out there at young ages and add kids into the mix wearing these shirts showing people what Rheumatoid Arthritis really is we will see changes. We will be the change. Get out there today and change one persons view of arthritis being an old persons disease! We can change their view, we can get noticed, bring the facts, and raise awareness to better educate people. I'm excited and ready! Are you? 

I thank you all again for coming to my blog. 
Remember if you enjoyed my blog the best compliment is to share it with your friends. Don't forget to like my Facebook page www dot facebook.com/RAGal75 or twitter RA_Gal  it's the best place to keep up on my blog posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment