Friday, April 4, 2014

Archery

Archery is something I enjoyed doing as a kid. My dad and I would go out in the yard and shoot at a large hay bale and I did some archery in girl scouts, so not a pro just a fun hobby I could share with my dad. Recently my Hubby and my girls have been taking some archery classes, I was unable to join them because my Rheumatoid Arthritis has been so active. My oldest daughter just turned 18 and for her birthday we went to the archery range. I decided to see if I could use her lighter bow and shoot from my wheelchair.

The range was empty except for us and one other guy, who happened to also be in a wheelchair. Turns out he has been doing archery since he was a young child, he has cerebral palsy and believe it or not Rheumatoid Arthritis. I had the best teacher I could have there and available to help me alone, like a private lesson. He was giving me great pointers and telling me to not get frustrated as it was like having to learn the sport all over again because everything is so different sitting in a chair. He happens to teach archery too and often has the higher skilled archers sit on a stool because it is more difficult to do.

I got some great pointers from him and was able to hit the target several times. We had a great time, we didn't stay long as we had a full day of birthday fun, which was good as I think I would have pushed myself too much because I was enjoying it. The next day I did have some extra pain and swelling, but after doing so much for her special day it was all worth it. I think I will be going more often as it will be a fun family sport and will help keep some of my joints moving and build muscles to help protect joints too.

There are always still things I can do, sometimes I just have to learn a new way to do it. To get my pain pills I have to fill out this form on all the things I can no longer do because of pain and how it affects my quality of life and enjoyment of life. Honestly I don't think about it that way, why would I want to focus on what I can no longer do. That form is depressing and I usually fill it out on auto pilot, but really why do we have to focus on the negative. I love my life...I have a wonderful family my life is filled with love and laughter, we do things together and have a lot of fun doing them. Even if we are just at home watching movies together because my RA is active and I can't do as much, we still have a great time. Pain or Rheumatoid Arthritis do not affect my enjoyment of life because I refuse to let it. I will always enjoy my life and find quality in it!

Thank you again for stopping by. Remember the best compliment you can give me is to share my blog with your friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment