Thursday, April 10, 2014

How do you know your pain is beyond RA

When you have a chronic pain disease like Rheumatoid Arthritis how do you know that the pain you are feeling is not "just RA", not that just RA is something to take lightly.  I have said before that I have a high pain tolerance. I think a smart body feels pain, ok feels an adequate amount of pain based on the severity of the cause....e.g. a broken bone should alert your brain to tell you this is painful something is wrong. There is a story behind this scenario, it is a true story I'll save for another post.

Anyways how do you know if your pain is beyond RA? I have pains that come up that are new pains, but often I figure oh a new joint has joined the RA symphony. (I feel pretty terms help me cope LOL)
There are times where I have this self debate of is this new pain RA or something else? Is this worth seeing my Dr about or will they just tell me it's RA and make me feel as though I have wasted their time?  When is my next Dr appointment? Can I wait until then and just bring it up at my regular appointment?

My left shoulder has been giving me a lot of pain which in my mind I know is beyond my normal. I have noticed I am babying it and not moving it through it's full range of motion, which raises other questions. Can I really not move it any further or are my pain signals really kicking in and telling it not to move anymore to prevent further damage? The fact that I am asking myself these questions is enough to know beyond a doubt I need this looked at. The fact that I do not have a smart body (see first paragraph) tells me a regular person would have went in a couple days after the pain first occurred. The fact that I am a month out and still debating this should tell me that I need to go in now.

So guess what I have decided to do....yep my regularly scheduled appointment is only three weeks out so I will wait and tell my Dr then. I have looked into Dr google and it says it's cancer so really I am good to wait right!? Totally kidding, well sort of we all know how often google says it's cancer. I really have researched this and have found the fixes are torture and prefer to wait. Totally not kidding here, but the first step they recommend is rest and ice, which I haven't done yet so I will start there and see what happens. If I don't see an improvement I will make an earlier appointment.

As a general note as to how to know if your pain is beyond RA...Is this pain a new pain? Is it in a joint? Does the pain demand attention over everything else? I feel that if it's a new pain it's worth telling your Dr. If the pain is not in your joint it is probably not a new joint joining the RA symphony, but either yes or no to this question is worth telling your Dr. If the pain demands attention over everything else again tell your Dr, if you feel it's urgent seek help now. Any pain is worth bringing up to your Dr, any symptom is worth bringing up to your Dr. To me the only choice is do you wait for a scheduled appointment or go in sooner. Please always listen to your body.

*Side note I do not recommend this action to anyone else. Please be smart and listen to your body know that every body is a smart body and is alerting you to a problem. Listen to your body and seek medical help. Remember I am not a Dr. This is not a medical advice blog, always talk to your Dr.

I am sure I could write a book on this subject, so I will stop here so I don't lose your attention.
Thanks again for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment