Friday, August 23, 2013

There is no cure, but thank you

I am not sure if this happens to people with other diseases or if for some reason Rheumatoid Arthritis is really targeted. I run across so many people that have no idea what this disease is and assume its osteoarthritis, but then there's the others....
The well meaning I have a friend who has a 7th cousin twice removed who used rum soaked raisin and cured their RA, or honey and cinnamon, cherry juice, losing weight, cutting out sugar, gluten free, magnets, ginger, green tea etc etc.... 
Do people diagnosed with diabetes get random people or even friends and family telling them cut out sugar or change your diet and you will be cured. Or how about people with cancer are they told to go gluten free to cure their cancer? I don't think so...why are we so targeted? (On a side note: My Mum passed from Breast Cancer and I never recall anyone telling her crazy cures like these, my Dad was diabetic and I never heard anyone but his Dr discuss his diet with him, so I'm not using these as suggestions without some knowledge about them and am definitely not trying to offend anyone). 
We all have someone who has suddenly become an expert that has tried to cure us with snake venom, or bee stings right. They know someone who knows someone who cured themselves or they read it on the Internet because everything you read on the Internet is true right. 
I'm here to tell you I have sadly tried some of these things. I mean some of them really sound like there is truth to them right, experts back it the web page says so. 
Lets talk about the stuff being sold, special "natural" supplements, vitamins etc...if you really think something sounds great first realize people are paid to promote these products. There are people who get paid just to go out and promote a product on websites. If there are experts listed by name who promote the product do a search on them. What can you find about them? Do they actually promote that product on their professional page? Search the products reviews (not just on their page), check the better business bureau, WOT (web of trust) etc.
If you still feel this product seems legit ask your Dr. Please always ask your Dr before trying anything even if its promoted as natural, even if it is natural, even if others with RA are telling you it works for them....ASK YOUR DOCTOR. 
I so often run across well meaning people suggesting dangerous supplements on RA chat groups and help pages. Always alway always ask your doctor. 
I have tried the gluten free diet and an elimination diet to see if there are any foods that trigger or flare my RA...I am sad to say after the grueling process I still have Rheumatoid Arthritis...I was not cured by changing my diet. On the other hand I do believe some people find some relief by changing their diet and eating healthier. I did make some changes in my own diet and am eating cleaner and healthier, but again non of this has cured my Rheumatoid Arthritis, I have not accomplished remission with these changes, honestly I can't even say that any of this reduced my pain or inflammation, but I do feel healthier as a whole for making these changes. I feel each individual needs to find what works best for them. 
The biggest thing I wanted to help was my fatigue level and I actually did find something that helps a little and it is exactly the opposite of what everyone is trying to tell us to do....Carbs lots of carbs and gluten help my energy, but I'm not talking about boxed pastas. I have a local bread shop that uses no preservatives and all natural ingredients and healthy grains in their breads and I find after eating the bread I have increased energy, and if I eat it on a regular basis I feel a difference. 
Again what works for me might not work for you, every person with Rheumatoid Arthritis is different, that's why this disease is so hard to treat. Listen to your body and your Doctor. 


2 comments:

  1. Thats something I always push. It's irritating when people push their agenda on you. I'm glad that all turnip diet and the turtle back fungus pills fixed your arthritis but we're all different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really irritating isn't it. I haven't had it come from actual RA patients as much as well meaning people trying to help, but don't understand the complexity of our disease. I think they see it on the internet and go with it. Thanks for reading my blog.

      Delete