Saturday, August 10, 2013

It's the handicapped stall not the pooping stall

Alright it has to be said...It's the handicapped stall not the pooping stall.
There's a reason it's a handicapped stall. The toilet sits higher for ease on knees and hips and the bars are there to assist us in getting up safely and in transferring from a wheelchair. The stall is bigger to fit our wheelchairs, walkers or other assistive devices. We the differently abled (my new word for handicapped) need these stalls to be able to function independently. We do not want to have to ask for assistance as we sit at our most vulnerable with our pants and undies at our ankles because we had to use a non handicapped stall. We need the higher toilet, we need the strong supportive bars, we need the room for our wheelchair etc. we need the handicapped stall, but we hardly ever get to use these stalls. 
We the differently abled do not get to use the stalls that were specifically made for us because someone long ago decided that it is the biggest stall, it's usually at the back of the bathroom so they think they have better privacy and they use it to poop in. I mean seriously this used to be a small minor thing only a few we're brave enough to challenge the handicapped sign on the door, the bathroom was probably quiet and empty they could have chosen any stall but they want the big one in the back where you think your hidden, but you're not...
We know about you we know about your sneaky hidden pooping stall. We know because we have to sit in our wheelchair and wait for you to come out, and you take forever and I have to be honest the smell is not pleasant. We know what you did in our special stall that helps us stay independent, helps us still feel capable of doing some pretty private things all on our own. You don't have a need for the handicapped stall you just think you can get away with using it. 
This is kind of a funny post I know, but it is a real problem for us who are differently abled. 
Please if there are other stalls available and you are not handicapped use them. There maybe someone coming into that restroom that really needs that handicapped stall. 
For those of us that do need the handicapped stalls I almost feel like we should politely remind the able body people who come out of the handicapped stalls that we are physically unable to use a regular stall and would appreciate if they could keep us in mind and keep our stall for us. 
I now notice the changing tables are being placed in the handicapped stalls. A lot of times these are left folded down, it is not easy to get our chair in and fold this out of our way, plus it means another long wait time for a mother in there changing a dirty diaper while we again wait.  I suggest we write a letter to the management of all companies we see this new trend in, especially if there is only one handicapped stall in there establishment let them know how difficult it is for us. Also I would add to mine being on the chemos my immune system can not fight off the germs on that changing table if I have to fold it out of the way. 
We have to fight for better handicapped accessibility everywhere we go so why not start at the bottom. Sorry I love puns and also like ending things on a positive note so hope you all love dorky puns as much as I. 
Thanks again for stopping by my little blog, I hope you enjoyed yourself. Please come back and visit. I promise they will get better. If you really are craving more remember to add me to your favorites and follow my blog. You can sign up to follow me and to receive emails of new posts if you prefer. Should be easy access links to both just right there on the right hand side of your screen towards the top of my page. Thanks again everyone 

No comments:

Post a Comment